Auto Create opens a wizard to create many locations at once.
Sort Order opens a wizard to modify the location sort order.
Print sends the default module report to the printer.
Create a new locationUse the following steps to create a new location.
- Click the New button located on the module toolbar in the Location module.
- Under the General tab, enter a name, description, and location type.
- Choose a location group. Each location must be assigned to a location group. If the desired location group has not yet been created, visit the Location Group module to create new location groups.
- If desired, choose a default customer for the location. This option is often used for consignment locations.
- Choose a unique location number. Fishbowl will automatically generate the next available number, or a custom number may be entered.
- Specify whether the location is the default, available for sale, active, pickable, or receivable. Any boxes left unchecked will deny those functions for this location.
- Click the Save button in the module toolbar.
Locations can also be imported from a spreadsheet.
Inventory tabPart module. Clicking the Qty hyperlink will open the part in the Inventory module.
Auto create locations
- The Auto Create button can be used to quickly create a large number of locations.
- For a moderate number of locations, many users may prefer the Locations import.
- For a small number of locations, the locations can be created manually.
The Auto Create function can be used in a variety of different scenarios. Just like a home address contains multiple components (City:Street:Number), the address name will contain each component of the location address (Section:Aisle:Bin). In the example below, the location name (SA:A1:B1) gives directions for how to find the location (go to section A, find aisle 1, and locate bin 1).
The steps below outline the process for creating 8 locations with the format shown above. This can be customized by changing the level names, numbers, etc.
- Click the Auto Create button on the module toolbar.
- Specify the Location Group for the new locations and then click Next.
- Enter a description for each level. The description will be visible in the location Description field.
- Enter the number of locations to create at each level. If a level is not being used, enter 0. Click Next.
- If desired, enter a prefix for each location level and a starting number or letter. Fishbowl will automatically increment the number/letter as locations are created. If desired, enter some text as a delimeter/spacer between the levels. Click Next.
- Using the entered information, Fishbowl will generate location names to reflect the location levels. The generated names will be used in the location Name field. On the final step, verify that the total number of locations is correct and then click Finish.
If an error is made when creating locations, multiple locations can be deleted at once by clicking the first location and then holding the Shift key while clicking the last location. Then right-click the selection and choose Delete.
Location sort order
The location Sort Order is used to organize locations according to the physical layout of the warehouse. This allows items on the Pick Ticket report to be ordered efficiently so that parts in the same area of the warehouse can be picked at the same time.
To modify the sort order for all locations, click the Sort Order button located on the module toolbar. Change the order of the locations in the list by highlighting the location and clicking the Up button or the Down button on the right of the window. Click OK to save the changes. The new sort order will be applied to all future pick tickets.
To display items according the the order line number instead of the location sort order, disable the Sort By Location option on the Pick Ticket report.
The following options can be found under the General tab for each location.
- Default location for this location type and group - Sets the location as the default for a given location type and location group.
- Available for Sale - Marks inventory in this location as available for sale. If this option isn't selected, inventory in this location will be classified as Not Available.
- Active - Sets the location as available for moving, picking, receiving, etc. Uncheck this box if the location should no longer be used for these actions. This overrides the pickable and receivable options. For example, there cannot be an inactive pickable location.
- Pickable - Marks inventory in a location as pickable. Unchecking this box will prevent inventory in this location from being picked and exclude it from the Available To Pick total.
- Receivable - Allows a location to receive inventory.
Fishbowl offers several location types. Fishbowl defaults to using some locations for specific functions, while other location types are strictly for internal use or informational purposes.
- Consignment - Used to store inventory that is on consignment.
- In Transit - Used to store inventory that is being moved by a transfer order.
- Inspection - Could be used to store inventory that is being inspected.
- Locked - Could be used to designate a secure warehouse area.
- Manufacturing - Used to store inventory that is being used on a manufacture order. By default, inventory picked for a work order will be moved to the default manufacturing location for the specified location group.
- Picking - Could be used to store inventory that is being picked.
- Receiving - Used to store inventory that is received in the Receiving module. By default, inventory purchased from a vendor will be received into the default receiving location for the specified location group, unless the part has a default location.
- Shipping - Used to store inventory that is ready to be shipped. By default, inventory that has been picked will be stored in the default shipping location for the specified location group.
- Stock - Used to store inventory in the warehouse. Typically, inventory will be picked from a stock location, unless the part has a default location.
- Store Front - Could be used to store inventory in a location that is accessible to customers.
- Vendor - Could be used to store inventory that is associated with a vendor.