The RMA module, located in the Sales group, facilitates the creation of Return Merchandise Authorizations. An RMA allows a customer to return purchased merchandise. When a customer requests to return an item, the RMA module provides the ability to receive the returned item and replace the product, repair the product, send a substitute product, or refund the purchase amount.
1. Create an RMA
Follow the steps below to create an RMA.
- Open the RMA module by clicking the Sales module group or menu and then clicking RMA.
- Click the New button in the module toolbar.
- Select the customer by typing the customer's name or number in the Customer field.
- If desired, enter an expiration date in the Expires field or make any other changes to the order details.
2. Add items
Fishbowl provides the ability to verify that the customer purchased the item that is being returned. Verifying the original order will also populate the price for the return item and create a link to the original sales order on the Links tab. Proceed through the steps of the wizard, entering the item quantity, and finally selecting the item type.
Below are the different types of items that can be added to an RMA.
- Credit - The original item will be returned and the customer will be refunded for the purchase.
- Replacement - The original item will be returned and a replacement product will be shipped to the customer.
- Substitution - The original item will be returned and a substitute product will be shipped to the customer.
- Repair - The original item will be returned for repair and a working product will be shipped to the customer.
Edit an item
After an RMA item has been added, it can be edited by highlighting the line item and then modifying the fields on the Details tab below the item list.
3. Receive a returned item
Once all of the items have been added to the RMA, follow the steps below to initiate the process of returning the original item.
- Click the Return button to create a credit return sales order.
- Enter the amount of the return credit and enter a restocking fee if applicable.
- For items that have a type of Replacement, Substitution, or Repair, select whether the item should be cross shipped. This will add the sale type item to the same sales order as the credit return type item.
- Once the wizard completes, highlight the RMA line item, click the Links tab at the bottom, and then click the blue link to open the credit return sales order.
- If the item is being cross shipped, the replacement product on the sales order can now be picked, packed, and shipped to the customer.
- When the returned item arrives, load the credit return sales order in the Receiving module and click the Receive button.
4. Resolve an RMA
Once a returned item has been received, the RMA item can be marked as resolved by highlighting the line item in the RMA module and selecting the appropriated resolution from the Resolution field. After resolving the item, click the Save button on the module toolbar. The Resolution tab of the RMA module options also provides the ability to automatically resolve items as soon as they are received.
The Resolution options can be customized by opening the Custom Field module, clicking the Custom Lists tab, and then double-clicking RMA Resolution. The RMA Issue list can be modified in the same way.
Ship a replacement product - If the replacement product was not cross shipped, click the Send button in the RMA module to create a new sales order with the resolved items. The new sales order will appear on the Links tab and can now be picked, packed, and shipped to the customer.
Refund a customer payment - When a replacement product is not shipped to the customer, the original customer payment can be refunded by loading the credit return sales order in the Sales Order module and then clicking the Payment button in the Sales Order module.
Once all items have been resolved, the RMA will have a Fulfilled status.
New creates a new RMA.
Return creates a credit return sales order for the items on the RMA.
Send creates a sales order to send the replacement, substitute, or repaired item to the customer.
Print sends the default module report to the printer.
Cross ship products
For items that have a type of Replacement, Substitution, or Repair, the product that is being sent to the customer can be cross shipped. Cross shipping is the process of shipping the replacement product before the credit return item has been received. When creating the credit return sales order, a Cross Ship checkbox will appear in the wizard.
The General tab displays important order information, including the customer, the RMA number, the order status, RMA items, and more. Item details are displayed on the three tabs below the item list.
- Details - This tab displays details for the selected line item. The Issue field is used to select the reason for the return. The RMA Issue list can be customized by opening the Custom Field module, clicking the Custom Lists tab, and then double-clicking RMA Issue. The Vendor and Vendor RMA reference fields are used to manually enter info for an item that needs to be returned to the vendor. The Details tab allows fields such as the RMA Type and the Substitution product to be changed. This tab also provides the ability to mark an item as resolved.
- Links - This tab displays related orders for the selected line item. Fishbowl will automatically create links to the verified original order, the credit return sales order, and the order for sending the replacement item. Links to other orders, such as a purchase order, can also be created by clicking the icon buttons to the right.
- Notes - This tab displays notes for the selected line item.
The Memo tab can be used to add information to each RMA. The upper pane displays the memos, the date they were created, and the user that created them. Highlighting a memo will display the details of the memo in the lower pane.
- Click the New button to create a new memo.
- To edit a memo, highlight the memo in the upper pane and then click the Edit button.
- To delete a memo, highlight the memo in the upper pane and then click the Delete button.
- Click the Print Memos button to print a report with all of the memos.
The Custom tab stores additional fields for the order that can be customized to fit the needs of each company.
- Custom fields can be created and modified by opening the Custom Field module and selecting RMA from the drop-down at the top of the module.
- To search for orders using the custom fields, click the Advanced Search button in the search pane to the left and then click the Custom tab.
Some aspects of the RMA module can be customized by opening the module, clicking the Tools menu, and then selecting Module Options.
- Next Number
- The characters entered in this field will be used as the next order number. Every time a new order is created, the final group of numbers will be increased by one. For example, Pier1-Order99-LA will be incremented to Pier1-Order100-LA.
- Verify RMA Item against Sales Order
- If this option is on, the Verify by order option will be selected by default when adding an RMA item. The system will try to find the original sales order for the item being returned.
- Days RMA is Valid:
- This field will automatically set the Expires date on the RMA. If set to 0, the RMA will not expire.
- Cross ship items
- If this option is on, the Cross Ship Replacement Product checkbox will be selected by default when clicking the Return button. This will combine the credit return sales order with the sales order to send the replacement, substitution, or repaired item.
- Restocking Fee
- This option allows the default restocking fee to be set.
- Line Description
- The default description for the restocking fee. If left blank, the description can be manually entered for each item.
- Resolve Credit Items on Receive
- This option allows an automatic resolution to be set when the RMA is received in the Receiving module.
- The Sales Order tab controls where the order details are pulled from for sales orders created from the RMA module. Details such as tax rate, salesperson, payment terms, shipping terms, carrier, etc. can be pulled from the original sales order, or these fields can be set to the default values for new sales orders.