Updated versions of Fishbowl are released several times a year and include new features and improvements. It only requires a few minutes to update Fishbowl and take advantage of the latest changes.
Fishbowl 2017.4 or higher will display a notification in the client when an update is available. Click Start Server Download to complete the update automatically. There is no need to run an installer, and in most cases, only a few small files will be downloaded to complete the update.
The update can then be applied the next time the server is restarted.
The auto update settings can be customized by right-clicking the Fishbowl Server tray icon and selecting Options.
For older versions of Fishbowl, or if the auto update fails, follow the steps below to manually update Fishbowl.
- Please carefully read Updating to 2017 before updating from 2016 to 2017.
- In most cases, backup files are not needed, however it is highly recommended to create backup files. On the Fishbowl Server computer, double-click the C:\Program Files\Fishbowl\server\bin\backup.bat file to backup the images, reports, and plugins to a folder on the desktop. To backup the MySQL database, right-click the Fishbowl Server tray icon and select Stop. After the red status dot appears on the server icon, right-click the Fishbowl Server tray icon and select Options. Then right-click the database name and select Backup. Browse to C:\Program Files\Fishbowl\data\backups and copy the most recent backup file to the Desktop.
- To download the update onto the Fishbowl Server computer, right-click the Fishbowl Server tray icon and select Check For Updates.
- If the auto download fails, the Fishbowl installer can be downloaded here.
- Click Next to proceed through the wizard.
- Once the download is complete, click Next.
- Select Yes, run the update now and then click Finish.
- The installer will open automatically. Click Next to advance through the wizard and select Server with Client on the Installation Mode step.
- Install the update into the same directory where Fishbowl is currently installed.
- Major updates, such as Fishbowl 2016 to 2017, require a current support contract and an updated license key. On the latest versions of Fishbowl, the license key will be updated automatically. Alternatively, a new key can be obtained instantly by clicking here. Minor updates such as Fishbowl 2017.1 to 2017.2 will continue to work with the previous license key.
- Complete the installation and on the final step, select Run Fishbowl.
- Click OK to complete the database update.
- For most updates, client computers will update automatically when connecting to the updated Fishbowl Server.