There are two places to configure email in Fishbowl:
- Set default email settings for all client computers on the Email tab of the Setup module.
- To override the defaults on a specific client computer, click the Tools menu, select Program Options, and click the Email tab.
The available fields are the same in both places. Follow the steps below to configure email in Fishbowl.
- Enter the information for the outgoing mail server. This information can be obtained from the email provider or from your company's IT department. Note: Gmail and G Suite users may need to enable less secure apps as explained here.
- The Email From Name and Email From Address fields are used to customize how the email will appear to the recipient.
- The Bcc Sent Receipt checkbox will send a copy of the receipt to the From address. An additional address can also be entered in the Bcc field.
- The four fields at the bottom of the tab are used to select customized email template files.
There are four ways to send email from Fishbowl. Each of these email types can be customized using the corresponding email template.
- Generic Email - To email a report from the Reports module, click the Email button located above the report. A PDF of the currently open report will be attached to the email.
- Sales Order Email - An email can be sent when a sales order is issued. This option can be customized on the Email tab of the Sales Order module options. A PDF of the Sales Order report will be attached to the email.
- Purchase Order Email - An email can be sent when a purchase order is issued. This option can be customized on the Email tab of the Purchase Order module options. A PDF of the Purchase Order report will be attached to the email and a CSV can also be attached for the vendor to import.
- Shipping Email - An email can be sent when an order is shipped. This option can be customized on the Email tab of the Shipping module options. A PDF of the Packing List report will be attached to the email.
The Email button can be used in most modules to open an email compose window. If the module's default report is specified, the PDF report will be attached to the email. In the Sales Order module, Purchase Order module, and Shipping module, the order's Email field will be used, or the default email address of the customer/vendor.
Clicking the To, Cc, or Bcc buttons will open an address book where the customer and company email addresses can be selected.
- Open an existing template (C:\Program Files\Fishbowl\client\email-templates) or create a new file in a text editor such as Microsoft Notepad. To specify an email subject, the first line must be SUBJECT: followed by the desired subject line.
- The remainder of the file is used to create the body of the message. Use any of the special keywords below to pull information from Fishbowl.
- @BILLTONAME will be replaced with the Bill To name from the order.
- @SHIPTONAME will be replaced with the Ship To name from the order.
- @ORDERNUM will be replaced with the order number.
- @CUSTOMERPO will be replaced with the customer's purchase order number.
- @DATE will be replaced with the current date.
- @USER will be replaced with the full name of the user that is currently logged in.
- @VENDORCONTACT will be replaced with the vendor contact name from the order.
- @TRACKINGNUM will be replaced with the tracking numbers for the shipment.
- HTML - The body of the message can also contain HTML tags for more advanced formatting. To use HTML tags, the body section must begin with <html> (see the generic template on the right). When composing the email in Fishbowl, the HTML tags will still be visible. A test email should be sent to verify that the received email is formatted properly. HTML tags can also be inserted manually from the compose window.
- Save the email template file, preferably in a location that will be accessible by all client computers.
- On the Email tab of the Setup module, click the Select File button next to desired email type and select the custom template file that was created.
- NOTE: If the file is not located in a common location that is accessible by each client computer, then the file will need to be copied to each client computer and specified by clicking the Tools menu, selecting Program Options, and then clicking the Email tab.
Payment Methods tab
The Payment Methods tab allows the user to create custom payment methods. To add a new payment method, click the Add button on the component toolbar. To edit or delete payment methods, click the Edit or Delete button.
Shipping Terms tab
The Shipping Terms tab allows a user to create customized shipping terms. To add a new shipping term, click the Add button on the component toolbar, enter the desired shipping term, and click OK to save. To edit or delete shipping terms, click the Edit or Delete button on the component toolbar.
FOB Point tab
FOB (Free On Board or Freight On Board) points are typically used to select the point where ownership changes from seller to buyer, or to indicate which party assumes the risk of damage during shipping. The FOB Point tab allows a user to customize FOB points. To create a new FOB point or to modify an existing one, use the Add, Edit, or Delete button on the component toolbar to the right.
The Countries tab allows countries, states, and abbreviations to be added and modified.
- To add a new country, click the Add button.
- To edit a country, double-click the country, or highlight the country and then click the Edit button.
- To view and modify the states/provinces of a country, first highlight the country and then use the icon buttons in the States/Provinces section.
Integrated Apps tab
The first time that an integrated application attempts to connect to Fishbowl, the application will need to be approved. The app only needs to be approved once. Follow the steps below to approve an integrated app.
- Start the Fishbowl Client and open the Setup module, located in the Setup group.
- Click the Integrated Apps tab.
- Select the integrated app from the list and then click the Approve button.
- The integrated app should now be able to connect successfully.
Some aspects of the Setup module can be customized by opening the module, clicking the Tools menu, and then selecting Module Options.
- Max Full Size
- Enter the maximum pixel dimension for storing images in the database.
- Max Thumbnail Size
- Enter the maximum pixel dimension for storing image thumbnails in the database.