The Custom Field module, located in the Setup group, allows custom fields to be created and modified. Custom fields appear throughout Fishbowl and allow customized data to be stored in several modules.
Create or edit a custom field
Use the following steps to create or edit a custom field in the Custom Field module.
- Under the Custom Fields tab, select a module to associate with the new custom field from the View Custom Fields For: drop down menu.
- The Custom Field module comes with four default custom fields that can be edited to fit a company's needs. To edit an existing custom field, highlight the custom field and click the Edit button located on the component toolbar. To add an additional custom field, click the Add button located on the component toolbar.
- Enter the Name, Description, and Type for the custom field. If the chosen Type is a list or a radio button group, specify the List that will be used.
- Choose whether or not the custom field will be Required when an item is created or modified, and then click OK to finish.
Custom fields can also be imported from a spreadsheet.
Custom field types
|Text||A text field that stores up to 30 characters.|
|Long Text||A text field that stores up to 128 characters.|
|Date||A field that allows a date to be selected from a calendar or entered by hand.|
|Money||A field formatted to list entries with a dollar sign, commas, and decimal points.|
|Quantity||A number field that allows a decimal point and automatically inserts commas when needed.|
|Count||A number field that does not allow decimals and does not automatically insert commas.|
|Checkbox||A field that can be checked or unchecked.|
|List||All items of a list will be displayed in a drop-down field.|
|Radio Button Group||All items of a list will be displayed simultaneously.|
When List or Radio Button Group is selected as the custom field type, a corresponding list must be selected. Use the following steps to create or edit a custom list.
- When creating a new List or Radio Button Group, click the Add button to the right of the List field.
- Choose a name and description for the list and then click Next.
- Add each list item by clicking the Add button to the right. When the list is complete, click Finish.
- Lists can also be created and edited by clicking the Custom Lists tab near the top of the module.
Use a custom field with an advanced search
Once a new custom field has been created in a particular module, it can be used in an advanced search within that module. To use a custom field in an advanced search, click the Advanced Search button in the search pane for the desired module and then click the Custom tab in the search window.
Some aspects of the Custom Field module can be customized by opening the module, clicking the Tools menu, and then selecting Module Options.
- Only show the required custom fields in the wizards
- With this option checked, only required custom fields will be shown in wizards. For example, when creating a new part, only the part custom fields that are marked as Required in the Custom Field module will be displayed, instead of all of the part custom fields.