The Avalara module, located in the Integrations group, is an add-on module that can be installed from the Plugin module. After installing the plugin, a new module is added that integrates with Avalara AvaTax. Avalara takes the hassle out of managing the many complex taxing laws and automatically returns a total tax amount based on the product, price, and location.
By integrating with Avalara, all tax calculations will be run through Avalara at the time of item fulfillment. An Avalara Order tax rate will be created and set as your default tax rate. In using this integration please be aware of the following processes for orders using the Avalara Order tax rate:
- Right-click and fulfilling line items must be done prior to shipping or receiving additional items.
- Avalara taxes will not be calculated for any orders fulfilled through the Fishbowl API.
- Any errors in getting taxes during receipt of credit returns or drop ship items will need to be handled manually.
- Calculating tax estimates on a sales order are estimates and are not included in the total invoice until items are processed.
- Discounts will not be applied to line items in Avalara
By agreeing to using this integration, Fishbowl will not be liable for any loss or damage relating to tax calculations.
- In any Fishbowl Client, open the Plugin module, located in the Integrations module group.
- Select the plugin and click Install Now.
- Completely close all Fishbowl Clients.
- Exit the Fishbowl Server by right-clicking the Fishbowl Server tray icon and selecting Exit.
- After re-opening the Fishbowl Server, the admin user can access the Avalara module from any Fishbowl Client by opening the Integrations module group.
- To grant access to additional users, open the User Group module and assign the Avalara-View right to the appropriate groups as explained here.
- Enter the Account Number and License Key into the Avalara module.
- The Web Service URL will typically be https://avatax.avalara.net
- The other fields are Avalara options, such as the ability to mark transactions as Pending or Committed.
- Click the Connect button in the Avalara module to verify that the connection is valid and then click Save.
- To get a tax estimate, click the Avalara button on the Sales Order module toolbar.
- If any changes are made to the order (modified quantity, partial shipment, address change, etc.), the estimated amount may vary from the actual amount calculated during shipping.
- In some cases, local laws and other complexities may also result in the actual tax being different from the estimate.
- The tax estimate is stored on the Details tab of the Sales Order module.
- The Order Estimated Tax column can also be enabled on the Sales Order report.
- The order total will not include tax until the order has been shipped.
- Once an order has shipped, a line item will be added to the order with the actual tax amount.
Avalara will validate the Ship To address when requesting a tax estimate and when the order is shipped. An address can also be validated manually by clicking the Validate Address button above the Ship To address.
Released on 2/9/2017
- Issue: Products with a number that is greater than 50 characters in length causes an error and doesn't display a clear error message.
- Resolution: Error message from Avalara is now passed through to Fishbowl.
- Issue: An error occurs when syncing with Avalara via the estimated tax button if the location group on the order does not have a default address in the company module.
- Resolution: Estimated tax now displays a message informing the user that an address needs to be entered before estimated tax can be calculated.
- Issue: Multiple shipments against a single sales order update Avalara with the latest transaction only when the "commit transactions" option is not enabled.
- Resolution: Multi shipment orders now process each shipment correctly.
Released on 10/13/2016
- Issue: Validating an address frequently fails when fields contain any additional data like an ATTENTION: listing.
- Resolution: Rather than a direct fail, Fishbowl now attempts a secondary validate using City/State/Zip.
Released on 6/9/2016
- Avalara AvaTax integration plugin allows for address validation and item based taxing