Updated versions of Fishbowl are released several times a year and include new features and improvements. It only requires a few minutes to update Fishbowl and take advantage of the latest changes. Follow the steps below to update Fishbowl on the server computer.
- When a new version of Fishbowl is released, a lightning bolt icon will appear in the top-right corner of the Fishbowl Client.
File:Fishbowl update available2.png
- On the Fishbowl Server computer, double-click the backup.bat file (default location is C:\Program Files\Fishbowl\server\bin\backup.bat) to backup the database, images, reports, and plugins to a folder on the desktop. This is a precautionary step. In most cases, these backup files will not be needed.
- To download the update onto the Fishbowl Server computer, right-click the Fishbowl Server tray icon and select Check For Updates.
- If the auto download fails, the Fishbowl installer can be downloaded by completing the form here.
- Click Next to proceed through the wizard.
File:New version available.png
- Once the download is complete, click Next.
- Select Yes, run the update now and then click Finish.
File:Run Update Now.png
- The installer will open automatically. Click Next to advance through the wizard and select Server with Client on the Installation Mode step.
- Install the update into the same directory where Fishbowl is currently installed.
- Major updates, such as Fishbowl 2020 to 2021, require a current support contract and an updated license key. A new license key can be obtained instantly by clicking here. Minor updates such as Fishbowl 2021 to 2021.1 will continue to work with the previous license key.
- Complete the installation and on the final step, select Run Fishbowl.
- Click OK to complete the database update.
- Fishbowl 2016.12 uses a new version of Java so the installer must be run on each client computer. For most other updates, client computers will update automatically when connecting to the updated Fishbowl Server.