Updated versions of Fishbowl are released several times a year and include new features and improvements. It only requires a few minutes to update Fishbowl and take advantage of the latest changes. Follow the steps below to update Fishbowl on the server computer. Fishbowl Clients will be updated automatically when connecting to the Fishbowl Server.
Updating Fishbowl 2015 or later (Updating versions prior to 2015)
- When a new version of Fishbowl is released, a lightning bolt icon will appear in the top-right corner of the Fishbowl Client.
File:Fishbowl update available2.png
- On the Fishbowl Server computer, double-click the backup.bat file (default location is C:\Program Files\Fishbowl\server\bin\backup.bat) to backup the database, images, reports, and plugins to a folder on the desktop. This is a precautionary step. In most cases, these backup files will not be needed.
- To download the update onto the Fishbowl Server computer, right-click the Fishbowl Server tray icon and select Check For Updates.
- Click the Next to proceed through the wizard.
File:New version available.png
- Confirm the download location and then click Next.
- Once the download is complete, click Next.
- Select Yes, run the update now and then click Finish.
File:Run Update Now.png
- Run the installer and select Server with Client on the Installation Mode step.
File:Server With Client Install2.png
- Install the update into the same directory where Fishbowl is currently installed.
- Major updates, such as Fishbowl 2019 to 2020, require a current support contract and an updated license key. A new license key can be obtained instantly by clicking here. Minor updates such as Fishbowl 2020 to 2020.1 will continue to work with the previous license key.
- Complete the installation and then start the Fishbowl Server to perform the database update.
- If there are Fishbowl Clients installed on other computers, they will be updated automatically when connecting to the updated Fishbowl Server.