Fishbowl's Frequently Asked Questions
About Fishbowl Inventory
- What is Fishbowl Inventory?
- What are Fishbowl Inventory modules?
- Does your inventory control software have a Bill-of-Materials?
- Can I run Fishbowl Inventory without integrating with QuickBooks?
- Which functions does Fishbowl Inventory take over from QuickBooks?
- Is Fishbowl Inventory Scalable?
- On which platforms does Fishbowl Inventory run?
- Which Operating Systems does Fishbowl Inventory run on?
- What are the hardware requirements for Fishbowl Inventory?
- Which versions of QuickBooks does Fishbowl Inventory integrate with?
- Which Fishbowl features are ideal for the independent manufacturer or wholesale/distributor?
- Does Fishbowl Inventory handle multicurrency?
- Can URLs be associated with items in Fishbowl?
- Can part numbers be exported to QuickBooks from Fishbowl?
- Is Fishbowl Inventory ODBC compliant?
- What is the maximum number of items I can have in Fishbowl Inventory?
- What are incidents and how do they work?
- Does Fishbowl Inventory offer QuickBooks training?
- How do I integrate with QuickBooks?
- Can Fishbowl Inventory answer questions about QuickBooks?
- Which Version of QuickBooks does Fishbowl Inventory integrate with and support?
- I seem to be having troubles with my Fishbowl and QuickBooks Reports not matching up. How is this fixed?
Upgrading Fishbowl Inventory
- What is an upgrade?
- How do I know if I need to upgrade?
- Who is eligible for the upgrade?
- Who should not upgrade to Fishbowl 5.0 or newer?
- Where do I get the upgrade?
- What should I do before I upgrade?
- How do I backup my Fishbowl database?
- How do I upgrade Fishbowl?
- How do I know if I have a service contract?
- How do I get a service contract?
- How do I know what version of Fishbowl Inventory I have?
- Can I undo an upgrade?
- Who do I contact if I have difficulties or more questions?
- How do I know what will be included in the latest Fishbowl Release?
- Why are my parts not showing up in the inventory module?
- What types of Costing Methods does Fishbowl handle?
- Why can't I see all of the modules in Fishbowl?
- Why does Fishbowl export all items over to Quickbooks as FB_item? Can this be changed?
- We are integrating Fishbowl and QuickBooks for the first time. What do we need to do or know beforehand?
- Does Fishbowl Inventory print barcodes?
- My barcodes are only printing the first 90, but I know I have more parts than that in my inventory.
- How do I switch Servers for my Fishbowl database?
- How can I find where all the Fishbowl Module Options are and what they do?
- Where can I find the Fishbowl Training Videos?
- Where can I find an initial Implementation Checklist?
- What is iReport?
- Does iReport require additional costs?
- How do I integrate Fishbowl and iReport?
- How do I setup iReports?
- How can I use iReports for minor Report modifications?
- How do I use iReports for Custom Reports?
- Is iReport similar to Crystal Reports?
- What knowledge do I need to use iReport?
- Can I pay Fishbowl to write a report for me?
What is Fishbowl Inventory?
Fishbowl Inventory is a full-scale, inventory-control software designed for companies that are currently using either QuickBooks or spreadsheets to track their inventory. Fishbowl is an affordable solution that solves many of the problems that only expensive solutions solved in the past. Fishbowl integrates with Intuit’s QuickBooks and is the leading inventory control and manufacturing solution, allowing companies to continue to use the QuickBooks software they already know. In short, Fishbowl provides control over many problems faced by small and medium-sized businesses that are trying to survive in today’s highly competitive business world.
What are Fishbowl Inventory modules?
Fishbowl Inventory is designed to allow the user to easily select an inventory item, observe the properties of that item (ie: quantity, location, tracking parameters, and detailed allocation), then easily adjust inventory levels and properties without having to sort through multiple screens to reference or edit the data. The Fishbowl organization of inventory information into modules gives our clients the ability to view their inventory processes at a glance.
Does Fishbowl Inventory have a Bill-of-Materials?
Fishbowl Inventory with Manufacturing has a Bill of Materials feature. This feature provides users with the ability to create custom, basic, or configurable items. The Bill of Materials module works hand in hand with our Manufacturing module, where users may manufacture, disassemble, repair, or service items. For a more detailed overview of Fishbowl's ability to handle Bill-of-Materials, please see our 10-Minute Test Drive, or our Bill of Materials Module.
Can I run Fishbowl Inventory without integrating with QuickBooks?
Yes. You can run Fishbowl Inventory as a standalone product. You need to integrate Fishbowl Inventory with QuickBooks only if you want to import data from QuickBooks or have Fishbowl Inventory send accounting transactions to QuickBooks.
Which functions does Fishbowl Inventory take over from QuickBooks?
Fishbowl Inventory takes over all inventory functions from QuickBooks. Sales and purchase transactions fulfilled in Fishbowl will automatically post "Invoices" and "Vendor Bills," respectively, to QuickBooks. As manual adjustments are made to Fishbowl's inventory levels, any affected accounting data will be exported to update the General Ledger in QuickBooks.
Is Fishbowl Inventory Scalable?
Fishbowl Inventory runs on the Firebird database engine: a very fast, reliable, efficient database. This means that as your data accumulates and the complexity of your business increases, you will not be constrained by this virtually unlimited database.
On which platforms does Fishbowl Inventory run?
Fishbowl Inventory Server and Client will run on Windows and Linux platforms. Fishbowl Client can run on the Mac platform. Please note that in order to integrate with QB, the server must be on the Windows platform.
Which Operating Systems does Fishbowl Inventory run on?
Windows 2000, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista (Pro, Business and Ultimate), and Windows 7 (Pro and Ultimate). Fishbowl does run on Linux but is only partially supported. The Fishbowl Client does run on Mac OS X but is only partially supported.
For a more complete list, please see Fishbowl's Supported Operating Systems
What are the hardware requirements for Fishbowl Inventory?
The hardware requirements for Fishbowl Inventory can be found within our Getting Started Manual here
Which versions of QuickBooks does Fishbowl Inventory integrate with?
Fishbowl Inventory integrates with the QuickBooks versions found on the following page: QuickBooks versions compatible with Fishbowl Inventory
Which features does Fishbowl Inventory have that appeal to the independent manufacturer or wholesale/distributor?
Fishbowl Inventory gives awesome functionality to the manufacturer and wholesaler with the following features:
- Multiple warehousing
- Specific inventory locations
- Lot, revision, expiration date, and serial number tracking
- Auto-purchasing for re-order points and backordered parts
- Consignment management
- RMA Tracking
- Flexible pricing levels
- Landed Costs and Purchase Order Reconciliation
- LIFO, FIFO, Standard and Average Costing accounting methods
- Pick lists, packing slips
- Finished goods possessing Bills-of-Materials
- Work Order generation for manufacturing, repair, and disassembly
- Staging with work orders
- Auto-Work orders for staying up to designated levels and sub-assemblies
Does Fishbowl Inventory handle multicurrency?
At this time, Fishbowl does not handle multicurrency.
- Basic Point-of-Sale capability
- Extensive Reporting
- and much more