Classes provide a way to categorize transactions. The Class Module allows for Classes to be created that may be tracked in both Fishbowl and QuickBooks. If a class is set in Fishbowl, the class will export to QuickBooks, allowing QuickBooks reports to be filtered by class.
About classes Template:Top
In QuickBooks, you can use classes to classify your income and expenses by:
- business office or location
- separate properties you own
- any other meaningful breakdown of the business you do
Consider these examples:
- If you had a restaurant with three locations, you might create an Uptown, a Midtown, and a Downtown class for tracking income and expenses by location.
- A farmer might create a class for each enterprise; e.g. Corn, Hogs, and Soybeans.
- At the end of an accounting period, you could create separate reports for each restaurant location. Likewise, the farmer could create separate reports for each farm enterprise.
The following functions are available in the Class Module:
- Create or edit classes
- Delete classes
- Able or disable Class Tracking (Module Options)
- Set classes as active or inactive
- Assign Subclasses
Create a New Class Template:Top
To create a new class you must be in the Class module. Choose the Accounting Module Group | Class Module and click the New button from the Module Toolbar.
Decide whether your Class Name will be a Main Class or a Subclass of a main class. If you are wanting to create a Main Class then choose 'Subclass of None' from the drop down list. If you want to create a Subclass, then in the dropdown list select the subclass of your choice. A mainclass is typically going to be a larger reference [for example, a city or state] whereas a subclass is typically going to be a specific within the class [for example stores within the city or state].
Click OK to save the changes and create either a Class or Subclass.
Edit/Delete a Class Template:Top
- Edit Image:'edit_item'_symbol.JPG
You may Edit an existing class by highlighting the chosen Class in the Class Module Main Screen by either double clicking or highlighting it and using the Edit button from the Module Toolbar. The Class Options box will be displayed. You may edit the Class Name, Subclass, or Active Status of the class.. Click Ok to finalize and save your changes.
- Delete File:'delete item' shortcut.JPG
To Delete a Class, highlight the Class in the Class Module Main Screen. Click the Delete Icon from the Module Toolbar. You may not delete a Class without first deleting subclasses beneath it.
Enable/Disable Class Tracking Template:Top
Class Tracking can be enabled or disabled in the Class Module Options, which are accessed from the Tools menu.
Some aspects of the Class module can be customized by opening the module, clicking the Tools menu, and then selecting Module Options.
- Use class tracking
- QuickBooks can use classes for categorizing transactions. Enabling class tracking in Fishbowl will allow a class to be specified on orders and order items.
- Prompt to assign class if the default is "None"
- With this option checked, a warning will be displayed when saving or issuing an order if an item does not have a class.
- Force user to specify class on new sales orders
- With this option checked, the user will be prompted to enter a class when saving a new sales order.
- Force user to specify class on new purchase orders
- With this option checked, the user will be prompted to enter a class when saving a new purchase order.
- Xero category name