|Product Training Videos|
The Product module, located in the Materials group, keeps track of products. Products are items that are sold while parts are items that are purchased or manufactured. It is possible to have more than one product associated with the same part. When a part is created and marked to be sold, a product is automatically created. Products can also be created using a CSV Import.
New also gives the option to create a Kit when clicking the drop-down arrow.
Save saves any changes made to the Product.
Delete deletes the Product.
Inventory opens the product in the Inventory module.
Duplicate creates a duplicate copy of the Product.
Product Tree opens the Product Tree.
Print sends the default module report to the printer.
How To opens this article in a web browser.
Refresh reloads whatever is currently open in the module.
Create a New Product
A new product may be created from the Product module by clicking on the New button located in the module toolbar. The General tab will now be ready to populate with the following fields:
- Product: The number for the product. This number will be displayed on sales orders.
- Prod Desc: The description of the product. This will also show on your sales orders
- Part: Click the dropdown arrow or the Search button to find a part you wish to tie this product to.
- Part Desc: This field will auto-populate with the description of the chosen part.
- Price: Enter the price at which you will sell the Product.
- UOM: This field is the unit of measure used to sell the product. If unit of measure conversions are set up, the product may also be sold in a different UOMs.
Select whether your product is Active (you cannot delete a product once it has been created. However, making it inactive will remove it from any view when searching unless you are using an advanced search for inactive parts) or Taxable.
You may also add an external URL for your product if desired. To do so, click on the Edit URL button. A box will display itself for you to enter the desired URL address. To check your link, click on the test button. Once you have finished, click OK.
Products can also be created using a CSV Import.
Manage Pictures per Product
Fishbowl allows you the opportunity to insert pictures for parts and products if desired. When you add a picture in the Product module, the graphic will also appear in the Search Panel.
To insert a picture click the Open Image button located to the right on the component toolbar. A browser screen will open for you to search your hard-drive for the graphic. Once you have found your file, click Open. The graphic will now appear in the picture window. The Save Image As button allows you to save the graphic onto your hard drive.
Clicking the Delete button will remove the graphic that is currently in the picture screen. The Full-size view button will display a pop-up box with the image in its original size. The Change Image Options button allows you to create different default sizes for your graphics. If your graphic is too large originally to show on the picture screen, you will want to adjust the size so it may properly be displayed.
To upload pictures for multiple products at once, see Batch upload product pictures.
Batch upload product pictures
The Product CSV can be used to upload pictures for multiple products at once.
- Export the Product CSV by clicking the File menu, selecting Export, and then choosing Product.
- Choose a location to save the file.
- Browse to the location where the file was saved (Documents folder by default) and open the file in a spreadsheet program like Excel.
- Type the path to the image file into the ProductPictureUrl column.
- If the images are located in an images folder on the C: drive, the cell value would look similar to this:
- If the images are predictably named, a formula can be used to reference other cells. For example, if the image is named the same as the product number, then the product number field (A2) can be used in the formula. The same formula can be copied into all applicable cells. The formula would look similar to this:
- If the images are located in an images folder on the C: drive, the cell value would look similar to this:
- Import the Product CSV by clicking the File menu, selecting Import, choosing Product, and then selecting the edited file.
- Make sure the file extension matches exactly (.jpg, .jpeg, .JPG).
- Localhost in the URL means the files are located on the local computer. The word localhost could be replaced with the name of the server where the images are stored. If the name of the server is excluded, make sure there are three forward slashes instead of just two: (file:///C:).
Modify or Delete an Existing Product
Once a product has been created and acquired a history, it cannot be deleted. However, you have the option to inactivate a part through the Product module. Choose the product to inactivate, and select the General tab. Beneath the General Information section, deselect the Active box. Your product will no longer be visible in the Product module, or available for any orders. However, if you choose to activate or view the part again, you may do so through the Product module | Advanced Search feature.
Under the Search tab, in the Product module, double-click your existing Product. The product details will then appear on the right hand-side of the screen.
Modify/Change the Product Number as desired and enter a new description in the Product Description field. Click Save on the module toolbar to save your changes.
Duplicate a Product
Fishbowl gives you the option to duplicate a Product in the Materials Module Group | Product Module. To do so, in the search panel double click on the product you wish to duplicate. Once the product has pulled up on the main screen, click the Duplicate button located on the module toolbar.
Fishbowl will immediately bring up a dialog box informing you of the product that was duplicated. Whenever a product is duplicated it will always be created as a 'Copy of ___'. After the product is created, you may change the name by editing the Product field and clicking the Save button on the module toolbar.
A duplicate product is still tied to the part of the original product. Therefore, the inventory tied to the duplicate product will be the same as the original product. When a product is duplicated the Substitute, Pricing, and Memo tabs will not be copied over from the original product.
Assign substitute products
If a product with insufficient inventory is added to a sales order, Fishbowl will provide the option of selecting a substitute product which can be configured on the Substitute tab of the Product module. To add a new substitute product, click the Add button located on the component toolbar to the right and select a substitute product. The Substitute tab also displays which kits a product is included in.
Assign Multiple Products per Part
A product may not be assigned to multiple parts, however a part may have multiple products assigned to it.
- Open the Details tab of the Part module.
- Click the New Product button located on the right side of the Product section.
- Enter the new product number, description and any other applicable fields.
- Click OK to save the changes.
The Product Tree
The Product Tree is located in the Materials Module Group | Product Module. The Product Tree allows you to organize your products into Categories and Subcategories. This is useful in organizing your products and quickly modifying pricing rules to entire categories. For example, let's say you own a bike store. You could create categories such as Bikes, Bike Parts, etc. You can also list one product in multiple groups; therefore you may want to create several types of classification systems if necessary. The Categories and subcategories you create are useful, especially when pricing items. You can quickly apply a special pricing discount or markup for every product listed under a certain category.
Click the Product Tree button located on the module toolbar. The screen that will appear is divided into two basic sections. The left side of the screen is where you create your categories or subcategories to organize your products. The right side of the screen allows you to search and filter your list of products.
Create a New Category
Fishbowl provides two ways to create categories. You may import categories for your Product Tree using a CSV import file, or you may manually enter them into the Client.
First select a parent category (likely the default Product category) for your new category to fall under. Then, in the bottom left hand corner of the Product Tree screen, click on Add Category and enter the name and description of your new category. To add a subcategory, simply highlight your category and click 'Add Category' again in the left hand corner of the screen. This will create a subcategory beneath the selected main category.
Adding Products to the Tree
Fishbowl allows you two ways to add products to a category. You may import products for your Product Tree using a CSV import file, or you may manually enter them into the Client.
In the Product Tree Screen, highlight the Category with which you wish to associate the product. On the right side of the Product Tree Screen search for the product you wish to put under your category. You may search by product number, product description, part number, or by an advanced search. Once you have found the product you wish to associate under the category, click the Add Product button to move the product to the left side of the screen.
To edit or delete the Product Tree simply highlight the Category, Subcategory, or Product you wish to modify and click the corresponding Edit button or Delete button located in the left hand corner of the Product Tree Screen. You may also refresh the product tree by clicking the Refresh button.
For instructions on how to add pricing rules to your Product Tree, please see the Pricing Rule module page.
The product tree can also be modified using a CSV Import.
Associated pricing allows the user to have additional costs tied to a specific product. For example, if a product has an additional charge for delivery, this could be added as an associated price on the Pricing tab.
To create a new associated price, click the New button located under Associated Prices on the Pricing tab of the Product module. Enter the price and select the Associated Price Type.
To create a new Associated Price Type, click the New button next to the Associated Price Type dropdown list.
To add associated pricing to a sales order, click the Add Item button located on the component toolbar of the Sales Order module. Select Associated Price from the list of items to add to the Sales Order. Click Next, choose the correct associated price type from the dropdown list, and then click Finish. The total of the associated price line item will be the sum of all the associated prices for products above the line item.
Associated Pricing can also be set using a CSV Import.
Fishbowl provides the ability to add multiple products to a sales order simultaneously by using associated products. An associated product has the same name as the main product plus a special suffix to identify it as an associated product. Associated products are often used in industries where recyclable cores can be returned to offset the cost of a new item. For example, when selling a new car battery, an auto parts store may give a discount to a customer that returns an old battery. Below is one example of how associated products could be used with core products.
- Create a new part that will be sold with the product number Battery.
- Create a new part that will be sold with the product number Battery-Core.
- On the Details tab of the Battery-Core product, set the SO Item Type to Credit Return.
- Open the Product module options and enter -Core% or something similar as the Associated Product Suffix. The % symbol functions as a wildcard, meaning the products Battery-Core and Battery-Core2 could both be associated to the main product Battery.
- Create a new sales order and add the Battery product. The Battery-Core product will automatically be added as a credit return item.
Associated products aren't limited to core products. By adjusting part types, default product types, prices, and suffixes, a company could use the associated product feature to fulfill various company needs, such as bundling products together (similar to a kit), adding service items or delivery fees (similar to associated pricing), or many other possibilities.
To search for products, use the search pane on the left of the Product module.
To perform a more advanced search, click the Advanced Search button.
The General tab contains important information about the product.
- Product Number - The number used to identify this product in Fishbowl.
- Product Description - A brief description of the product.
- Part - Click the blue link to jump to the part that is associated with this product.
- Part Description - The description of the part that is associated with this product.
- Price - The price the product will be sold for.
- UOM - The default unit of measure for the product.
- Class - The class the product is assigned to. The product class will take precedence over all other classes. If the product doesn't have a class, then the customer class will be used. If the customer doesn't have a class, then the location group class will be used.
- Active - A product that has been used cannot be deleted. However, by unchecking the Active checkbox, the product will be hidden in Fishbowl except when searching for inactive items.
- Show on SO Combo Box - This checkbox sets whether the product will be visible when typing into the Product field in the Sales Order module.
- Taxable - This checkbox sets whether sales tax should be charged for this item.
- URL - A clickable URL can be saved with this product. Clicking the link can open local files, websites, etc.
- Details - Provides a place to store additional details about the product.
- Picture - Allows an image of the product to be saved and displayed in Fishbowl.
The Details displays additional details about the product.
- Allow product to be sold in other UOMs - The field controls if the product can be sold in a UOM other than the default UOM specified on the General tab.
- UPC - Stores a barcode number for the product that can be scanned to add an item in the Sales Order module or in SalesPoint.
- SKU - An additional number that can be used to identify the product.
- Alert Notes - Notes entered in the Alert Notes field will be displayed in a popup window when adding a product to an order.
- SO Item Type - The default type (Sale, Drop Ship, or Credit Return) when adding the product to an order.
- Size and Weight - Allows the dimensions and weight of the product to be stored. The weight will automatically populate in the Shipping module.
- Income Account - Specifies the income account that will be used for this product.
- Inventory - Displays the inventory quantities for the product. Clicking the Display more information button located to the right of the Inventory section, will display even more detailed inventory information.
The Substitute tab allows for specific products to be substituted for others when they are out of stock. If an out of stock item is added to a sales order, a dialog will be displayed with an option to select a substitute product.
- To specify which products can be used as a substitute product, click the Add button on the Substitute tab.
- The lower section of the Substitute tab also displays if the current product is included on any kits.
The Pricing tab allows the user to create new pricing rules, as well as edit or delete existing pricing rules. For detailed instructions on how to Create, Edit or Delete Pricing Rules and Associated Pricing, please see the Pricing Rule module.
See Associated Pricing for details about associated pricing.
The Customers tab displays the customer part numbers associated with the selected product.
The Memo tab is for internal-use and allows a user to enter notes regarding a specific product. The top portion of the main screen will offer the date notes were given, by what user, as well as a portion of the memo written. If the memo is longer than the top line allotted, you may highlight the entire line and the memo will be shown in its entirety on the bottom half of the main screen.
You may Add a new memo, Edit an existing memo, or Delete a memo by highlighting the line item to be changed and clicking the corresponding button located on the component toolbar.
You may print all the memo notes for a product by clicking on the 'Print Memos' button in the top left corner of the main screen.
The Custom tab is an internal-use field for extra information. You can set up specific names for each custom field line in the Custom Field module. You may also do an advanced search for products by custom fields. You can customize reports in fishbowl to display custom information.
Some aspects of the Product module can be customized by opening the module, clicking the Tools menu, and then selecting Module Options.
- Associated Product Suffix
- This field contains the associated product suffix that will be searched for when adding a product to the sales order. The suffix can be used to associate products that should be added together to a Sales Order. For example, a battery may have a core associated with it. By entering -Core% in the suffix field, products containing Battery-Core in the product name will be added whenever the Battery product is added. % is a wildcard, meaning that any characters can follow -Core, so both Battery-Core and Battery-Core2 would be added. For more information, see Associated products.
- Set new products taxable
- If this option is checked, all new products will be marked as taxable. If this option is unchecked, all new products will be marked as non-taxable.