Save saves any changes made to the location.
Delete deletes the location.
Auto Create opens a wizard to create many locations at once.
Sort Order opens a wizard to modify the location sort order.
Print sends the default module report to the printer.
How To opens this article in a web browser.
Refresh reloads whatever is currently open in the module.
Create or Modify a Location
A location can be as simple or complex as you desire. If you are set up with bins, the Location Module can mimic those. If you want to say that the inventory is in the warehouse, you can set up a location for the warehouse. You need to create a location in Fishbowl for all the places where you store inventory. Fishbowl includes some default locations that you can use, edit, or delete.
When you first begin using Fishbowl, you will find that Fishbowl has a default Location Group called Main with the following default locations:
You have the option to keep these locations, rename them, or add to them.
The following functions are available through the Location module:
- Create new locations
- Auto Create locations
- Location Sort Order
- Edit location details
- View inventory located in each location
To create a new location, click the New button located on the module toolbar in the Location module. Under the General tab, enter a name, description, and type of location you would like. Each location is required to be assigned to a location group. You may assign a location group by choosing from the drop down arrow next to the Location Group box. Your location groups must already be created before they may be assigned to a location. See the Location Group module if you need help. If you do not see the desired location group to assign, you may create new location groups in the Location Group module.
A location tag is a unique number associated with each location. Fishbowl will automatically enter the next available number, or a custom number can be entered. The location tag is primarily used in barcodes and Fishbowl Mobile. When printing location labels, the barcode contains the location tag number. When the location label is scanned, or the location tag number is entered in places such as Fishbowl Mobile, the location name will automatically be filled in.
You will now want to specify whether the location is default, available for sale, active, pickable, or receivable. Any boxes left unchecked will deny those functions for this location. When you are finished, click the Save button in the module toolbar to save your changes.
When editing an existing location, simply double-click the location from the search pane. Make the desired changes to the General tab on the right and click the Save button in the module toolbar.
When a location is pulled up on the main screen, the Inventory tab will give a list of part numbers, tags, and quantity in that location. Clicking on the blue hyperlink will take you directly to the part in the Part module, or to the part's inventory in the Inventory module.
Locations can also be created using the import.
Auto Create Locations
Click the Auto Create button from the module toolbar located in the top left hand corner of the screen.
An Auto Create wizard will appear. Specify the location group for the new locations. Enter a length of characters in the Location Group name that you would like to be displayed when using barcodes. Click Next.
Choose the number of locations you would like to be created at each level. These labels are used to name/specify up to four levels of Location hierarchy. These names are displayed on the Location barcode labels to be used throughout your warehouse. The "Number of locations to create at this level" value describes how many locations to create at that level. This number will also determine the code length for this level. Place a zero in latter levels to create fewer than 4 levels. Click Next.
The next section will ask you to enter in names for up to four levels of hierarchy. These names will be displayed on barcode labels. We recommend alternating naming conventions between levels to make it easier to visually determine levels. Click Next.
The following screen will show you a summary of how many locations will be created based on the specifications entered throughout the wizard. To create the locations click Finish.
Location Sort Order
The Sort Order will organize your pick according to the order specified in the Location Sort Order. Items on your Pick will be organized according to the placement and order of locations in the Sort Order instead of the placement and order of locations on the sales order.
Click on the Sort Order button located in the module toolbar. Specify the location order you would like your picks to be organized by highlighting the location and clicking on the blue up or down arrow to the right of the sort order wizard. Click OK at the bottom of the Location Sort Order box to save your changes. The order of items will now be arranged according to the Location Sort Order instead of the location arrangement on the sales order.
- Default location for this location type and group - If you have multiple locations of the same type, you can set one as the default for each location group.
- Available for Sale - If this option isn't selected, inventory in this location will be classified as Not Available.
- Active - Uncheck this checkbox if the location should no longer be used for moving, picking, receiving, etc. This overrides the Pickable and Receivable options (i.e. you cannot have an Inactive Pickable Location).
- Pickable - Unchecking this box will prevent inventory in this location from being picked. This inventory will also be excluded from the Available To Pick total.
- Receivable - Unchecking this box will prevent inventory from being received into this location.
Fishbowl offers several location types. Fishbowl defaults to using some locations for specific functions, while other location types are strictly for internal-use or informational purposes.
- Consignment - Used to store inventory that is on Consignment.
- In Transit - Used to store inventory that is being moved by a Transfer Order.
- Inspection - Could be used to store inventory that is being inspected.
- Locked - Could be used to store inventory that is locked.
- Manufacturing - Used to store inventory that is being used on a Manufacture Order. By default, inventory picked for a work order will be moved to the default manufacturing location for the specified location group.
- Picking - Could be used to store inventory that is being picked.
- Receiving - Used to store inventory that is received in the Receiving module. By default, inventory purchased from a vendor will be received into the default receiving location for the specified location group, unless the part has a default location.
- Shipping - Used to store inventory that is ready to be Shipped. By default, inventory that has been picked will be stored in the default shipping location for the specified location group.
- Stock - Used to store inventory in the warehouse. Typically, inventory will be Picked from a stock location, unless the part has a default location.
- Store Front - Could be used to store inventory in a location that is accessible to customers.
- Vendor - Could be used to store inventory that is associated with a vendor.