The Consignment module, located in the Materials group, is used to track inventory that is sold from a consignment location. Consignment is typically used to transfer inventory to a third-party seller. The inventory in consignment locations can be be replenished based on part reorder levels. In this case, the reorder levels should be specified By Location Group in the Location Group module options.
New Location creates a new consignment location.
Print sends the default module report to the printer.
How To opens this article in a web browser.
Refresh reloads whatever is currently open in the module.
Create a new location
Use the following steps to create a new consignment location.
- Click the New Location button located on the module toolbar. Enter a location name, description, and tag number. Each tag number must be unique. Click Generate to automatically generate the next available tag. Determine whether the new location being created is the default for the location type and group, as well as whether it is pickable, receivable, or available for sale. Click Next.
- Generate a new location group or select an existing location group for the consignment location. Click Next.
- Choose a default customer for the new location. Choose an existing customer from the drop-down list, or enter a new customer by clicking the Add New option at the bottom of the list, which displays the New Customer Wizard. For additional information regarding customers, see the Customer module.
- Click Finish to save the new consignment location and click OK in the confirmation window. Consignment locations can also be created and edited in the Location module.
Sell items from a consignment location
Once inventory has been sold in a consignment location, a sales order must be created to remove the items from inventory. To automatically fulfill sales order items when an order is created, set the Consignment module options to Auto fulfill sales order.
Follow these steps to create a sales order within the Consignment module.
- Double-click on the desired consignment location in the search pane on the left. Highlight the items to be added to the sales order in the Items list and click the Select button. To add multiple items at once, hold down the shift key while highlighting the desired items. If items and quantities need to be split, highlight the item and click the Split button. Items may also be added to the Selected Items list using the Part drop-down list.
- Click the Create SO button located on the component toolbar to the right of the Selected Items list.
- Select a customer for the sales order. To add a new customer, select Add New at the bottom of the list. Click Next.
- Verify the customer's billing address. It may be edited at this point, if needed. Click Next.
- Verify the customer's shipping address. It may be edited at this point, if needed. Click Next.
- Choose a fulfillment date for the sales order. To select the date on a calendar, click the Calendar button. Select Next.
- If needed, add non-inventory items to the sales order. Click Finish. If the Consignment module options are set to Open order after creation, the order will automatically open in the Sales Order module. Otherwise, click OK in the confirmation window. The quantities of the items on the sales order have now been removed from the inventory of the consignment location.
Move inventory into a consignment location via transfer order
Within the Consignment Module you may have Fishbowl create a Transfer Order, or you may put the items on the order yourself.
First, set the Module Options if necessary. In the consignment Search Panel, double click the location to which you will be transferring the inventory. Choose the Transfer Order icon located on the module toolbar. The Transfer Items to wizard will appear where you will have the option to either Ship or Move the inventory to your Consignment Location. If the order is shipped, the order will be sent to the shipping module. If the order is to be moved, it will not be shipped. Whether your order is to be Shipped or Moved, the first step to choose is whether you will have the inventory Auto Replenish or if you will manually add items. Step 3 requires the user to enter the Location Group for where the inventory is to be pulled.
If you chose to Ship your Transfer Order the following steps require the customer's name and address; items to be Moved do not. The Select Replenish Part Filters will appear if you selected the Auto approach, while the Add Items will appear if you selected the Manual approach. After all of the correct information has been added, click the Finish button to complete the wizard.
If the Consignment module options are set to Auto fulfill Transfer Order, the items on the transfer order will now be displayed in the Consignment Location’s Items pane of the Consignment module. If a quantity was not available at the From location, then a line item showing zero On Hand and zero Available will be created.
Move inventory into a consignment location via PO
Within the Consignment Module a Purchase Order may be created to replenish a part's inventory within that Consignment Location. You may have Fishbowl create the PO, or you may manually enter the items onto a Purchase Order. In order for a Purchase Order to be created for specific items, the items must have a default vendor already assigned.
From the Search Panel, double click the location for which the Purchase Order should be created. Next, choose the Purchase Order icon from the module toolbar. The Auto Purchase Order Wizard will be displayed. At this point, you may choose to either Auto Replenish the inventory for this location, which will replenish the inventory according to the item's reorder levels; or you may Manually Enter Inventory which will allow the user to add any desired items to the Purchase Order.
Choosing the Auto Replenish feature will automatically create Purchase Orders as necessary according to the part's reorder levels. Step 1 of the Auto Replenish feature will provide the Setting Filters to be modified as needed. If a vendor is not selected in this step, then all vendors will be included. If a part doesn’t have a vendor specified in its Part definition (Part module), the part will not be included in the auto PO. Choose Next. The last step asks whether the user would like these Purchase Orders to be created in an Issued or Bid Request state. Bid Requests will stay in the Purchase Order Module; Issued orders will be sent to the Picking Module to await a pick. This step will also provide the Purchase Order numbers that are to be created. If parts are not below their reorder levels, no orders will be created. Choose Finish to complete the Auto Purchase Order wizard.
If you choose to Manually Enter Inventory the following step will require you to choose the items to be added to the Purchase Order. If a default vendor has not been assigned for specific items, then a purchase order will not be created for those items. If a part is customizable, it cannot be added. In the Part module, a customizable part has a Bill of Materials that includes variable and/or optional parts. After your items have been entered, you may choose the Finish button. A confirmation box will be displayed providing the Purchase Order numbers that were just created.
Adjust inventory within consignment locations
Many of the Inventory module functions are available within the Consignment module. You can make adjustments to tags, move inventory to a new location, increase and decrease the quantity of inventory, scrap inventory, and view the Serial Numbers of a tag.
First, in the Materials Module Group | Consignment Module, choose the Consignment location for which you wish to adjust the inventory from the Search Panel. The Consignment Location and all of its inventory items should be shown on the main screen. Highlight the line item to adjust, and choose the Move button, Cycle button, or Scrap button, all of which are located on the component toolbar.
Moving and adjusting inventory is handled within the Consignment Module in the same manner as within the Inventory Module. For more information, see Move inventory, Cycle count inventory, and Scrap inventory.
Transfer inventory out of a consignment location
Once inventory has been placed into a consignment location it may be moved via a Transfer Order to a different location at almost any time. By choosing the Transfer Order icon from the module toolbar, the create a transfer order wizard will be displayed so you may create the Transfer Order from within the Consignment module.
Before creating a Transfer Order, set the Module Options if necessary. In the Consignment Module, choose the desired location from the main screen search panel. A Transfer Order will be created with the items specified beneath the Selected Items section. To add items to the Selected Items section highlight the desired Part, Location, and Tag number and choose the Add to Selected Parts icon. You can also use the Quantity and Part tools to select from the inventory items. Those are handy when you have a very long list of items. Be sure to specify the Quantity prior to selecting the product.
Next to the Selected Items pane, click the Create TO button located on the component toolbar. This will display the Transfer Order Wizard. Step 1 of the Transfer Order Wizard will ask whether you wish to Ship or Move the items. If you choose to ship the items, the order will be required to go through the Shipping Module; however, moving items does not proceed through the shipping module.
Step 2 of the Transfer Order Wizard requires you to choose the Location Group for where the inventory is being transferred to. Depending on the Module Option setting, either the To or From Location Group will be grayed out and may not be modified. Enter the Location Group for either where the inventory is being sent TO, or where the inventory is being sent FROM. Choose Next.
If you chose to Move your inventory, this will be your last step and you may select Finish to complete the Transfer Order Wizard. If, however, you chose to Ship the items, the last 2 steps require address information to be entered before the order may be created.
The last 2 steps provide the customer shipping address and the shipping address for your company. The default address will be highlighted; however you may choose any existing address for that customer.
If the Consignment module options are set to Open order after creation, the order will be displayed in its module. Otherwise, you will receive a message telling you that the Transfer Order was created. If the option is set to Auto fulfill Transfer Order, the items/quantity in the Consignment Location’s inventory will be decreased by the amounts that were on the Transfer Order. Otherwise, the consignment quantities will be reduced as the Transfer Order is processed in the other modules.
Some aspects of the Consignment module can be customized by opening the module, clicking the Tools menu, and then selecting Module Options.
- Auto fulfill Transfer Order
- With this option checked, Transfer Orders created in the Consignment module will automatically be fulfilled, eliminating the need to pick, ship, and receive the order.
- Auto fulfill Sales Order
- With this option checked, Sales Orders created in the Consignment module will automatically be fulfilled, eliminating the need to pick and ship the order.
- Open order after creation
- With this option checked, orders will automatically be opened in the applicable module after they are created in the Consignment module.