Receive receives the current order.
Print sends the default module report to the printer.
How To opens this article in a web browser.
Refresh reloads whatever is currently open in the module.
Receive an order
Below are the basic steps required to receive items into Fishbowl.
- Double-click the order number in the search pane to load the order in the Receiving module.
- Select each item and verify or modify the information (such as the quantity, location, and cost) on the Receipt tab below.
- Any changes made in the lower tabs will be saved when the item is received or reconciled.
- Click the Receive button to the right to receive the selected item, or click the Receive button at the top to receive the entire order.
After an item has been received, an item receipt will be sent to QuickBooks on the next export. Once the order has been reconciled, the item receipt in QuickBooks will be changed to a bill. Orders can also be received using the import.
Receive a partial quantity
Fishbowl allows partial quantities to be received. This may be helpful when only a portion of the original quantity arrives, or if the line item needs to be split so that it can be received into multiple locations, with different tracking, costs, etc. Below are the basic steps required to receive a partial quantity.
- Select the line item that will be split.
- On the Receipt tab, enter the quantity that will be received and then click the Receive button to the right.
- Fishbowl will automatically split the line item to show the portion that has been received, and the portion that still needs to be received.
Reject an item
Fishbowl allows items to be rejected. This may be useful if an item arrives damaged and the vendor will be sending a replacement item. Below are the basic steps required to reject an item.
- Select the line item that will be rejected.
- On the Receipt tab, enter the quantity that will be received and the quantity that will be rejected. Then click the Receive button to the right.
- Fishbowl will show the item that has been rejected and will automatically create a new line item with the same quantity so that it can be received when the replacement items arrive.
Enter tracking data
When an item is received that requires tracking information, a window will be displayed where the tracking data can be entered by typing into the tracking fields.
- To automatically enter tracking information (serial numbers, revision levels, lot numbers, dates, etc.) click any of the Auto buttons.
- To enter serial numbers individually, type a serial number into the field and then press the Enter key or click the Add button.
- To enter a range of serial numbers, click the Batch Input button. The last set of digits in a serial number will be automatically incremented. For example, A23X48 will become A23X49, A23X50, etc.
- To import serial numbers from a text file, click the Read From File button. The file must be saved in a plain text (.txt) format with one serial number per line.
Tracking information can also be entered on the Tracking tab prior to receiving an item. If tracking data needs to be modified after the item has been received, the line item can usually be voided. If the item cannot be voided, the tracking information can be edited in the Inventory module.
Reconcile an order
In some cases, the invoice received from a vendor will not match the purchase order created in Fishbowl. For example, this could happen if the vendor charges a different amount than expected, sends partial shipments, or adds additional fees that were not on the original purchase order. Reconciling is the process of adjusting the original purchase order to match the invoice. Reconciling can be done before or after receiving the order.
Each item can be reconciled individually by highlighting the item, modifying the cost, and then clicking the Reconcile button on the component toolbar to the right. The Reconcile wizard allows multiple items to be reconciled at the same time and also provides the ability to add additional fees and land the cost of those fees to the purchased items. Landing costs is the process of including additional fees as part of the item's cost, often by distributing the cost across multiple parts. Follow the steps below to reconcile an order using the Reconcile wizard.
- Click the Reconcile button located on the module toolbar.
- Each unreconciled line item will be listed in the wizard, except those on hold. Uncheck the Reconcile checkbox for any items that should not be reconciled.
- If necessary, the cost of each item can be modified by clicking in the Cost or Total fields. If applicable, the costs can also be edited in the alternate currency.
- If applicable, enter a Ref No or Bill Date. If line items have different reference numbers or bill dates, separate bills will be created in QuickBooks.
- Click Next to advance to the Add Items step. Additional items such as labor and shipping can be added by clicking the Add Item button on the component toolbar to the right.
- If items were added, and landed costs are enabled, the Landed Cost step will allow the additional costs to be distributed to the parts. The landed costs can be set manually or through several other methods by clicking the dropdown above the item list.
- Click Next to advance to the Summary step. Verify that the data is correct and then click Finish.
Void an item
If a mistake was made when receiving or reconciling an item, the item can usually be voided to correct the mistake.
- To void an item, highlight the line item and then click the Void button on the toolbar to the right. Multiple items can also be selected by ctrl-clicking each item.
- To void all line items on an order, load the order and then click the Void button on the module toolbar.
The General tab is divided into three sections.
- Order information is displayed at the top along with clickable blue links and order notes.
- The line items to be received are displayed in the center. The line item buttons to the right are used to modify the selected item.
- Additional details for the selected line item are displayed below on the Receipt, Tracking, Shipping, and Open Orders tabs.
The Receipt tab is located below the receiving line items and displays details for the currently selected line item.
- Before an item is received, details such as location and receive date can be modified.
- If necessary, change the number of items to Accept or Reject before clicking the Receive button.
- The Location field will default to the default location set on the Default Locations tab of the Part module.
- The Deliver to field is a text field that can be used for internal purposes.
- The Responsible and Reason fields are typically used when rejecting or modifying the quantity.
- The Unit Cost will default to the value on the purchase order, but can be modified as necessary.
- The Customer/Job field will default to the customer if the purchase order was created from a sales order.
- The Ref No (reference number) and Bill Date can be set on a per-item basis and will export to QuickBooks. If line items have different reference numbers or bill dates, separate bills will be created in QuickBooks.
The Tracking tab displays the part tracking data for the currently selected line item.
- Click the Tracking Details button to enter tracking information prior to receiving an item.
- Tracking data can also be entered when receiving an item.
- After a part with tracking has been received, the tracking data will be displayed on the Tracking tab.
The Shipping tab is located below the receiving line items and displays shipping details for the currently selected line item.
- The Carrier field defaults to the Vendor's default carrier or can be manually changed in the dropdown.
- The Track No field can be used to record a tracking number for the shipment.
- The Pkg Count field can be used to keep track of how many packages there are of the selected item.
The Open Orders tab displays open orders that are creating demand for the selected line item.
- Click the blue link to open any displayed order.
Some aspects of the Receiving module can be customized by opening the module, clicking the Tools menu, and then selecting Module Options.
- Receive to the default Receiving location rather than the part's default location
- With this option on, a part will be received into the location group's default receiving location, instead of the part's default location.
- Calculate Landed Cost by:
- This option determines how landed costs are distributed between items. Costs can be landed by Cost, Quantity, Size, Weight, or Manually. Selecting Do not calculate will remove the landed cost step from the Reconcile wizard.
- Update the Vendor Last Cost on Reconcile
- This option will update the vendor's last cost when a purchase order is reconciled.