The Customer module, located in the Sales group, allows customer information, including addresses, groups, and details to be added and edited.
Save saves any changes made to the customer.
Delete deletes a customer.
Check Balance Gets the customer's balance from the accounting system. Also available on the sales order.
Print sends the default module report to the printer.
How To opens this article in a web browser.
Refresh reloads whatever is currently open in the module.
Create a New Customer
Before we begin, the first thing to know is the only required fields when creating a new customer are the name and the street address. Once a Customer has been created, the information entered may be edited at any future time if necessary. The following steps will help create a new customer in your Fishbowl database.
In the Sales Module Group choose the Customer module. This will open the Customer Details screen. On the left you will see a listing of all existing Customers in the Customer Module Search Panel. Click on the New icon located on the module toolbar to launch the Customer Wizard.
Enter the Customer's name and Customer's number (optional) in the appropriate field. This first step also allows the user to specify a Customer Job if desired. All of the Customers currently shown within the Customer Module will appear in the Customer Jobs drop down menu. Once the information on step 1 has been entered, choose Next.
- To help with searching, Fishbowl requires that all customers have a unique identifier. This means that you cannot have more than one Customer of the same name. This makes it possible to distinguish between Customers in the Customer drop-down boxes found throughout Fishbowl. If you have more than one Customer of the same name, add a unique identifier to the name. Numbers, zip codes, area codes, or business names are commonly used to distinguish between Customers.
Next you will reach the address section. Fill out the information for a Main Address and click Next. If multiple addresses for a Customer such as a Bill To, Ship To, etc. they may be done via the Customer Import or through the Address tab. In the following screen you can enter your Customer's phone number, fax number, mobile number, other number and e-mail address. Enter as many or as few of the fields as you desire. When you have finished, click Next.
Next is the Customer Details screen. This is the accounting portion assigned to each customer. You will choose the shipping terms, default terms, tax rate and status of this customer. A note field is also available. A few details are described below.
- COD - Terms of type Cash on Delivery. This is for customers who pay you at the time of receipt.
- CIA - Terms of type Cash in Advance. For customers who must pay in advance.
- CCD - This stands for Cash Concentration and Disbursement. This is a format for Automated Clearinghouse (ACH) type payments, or payments dealing with electronic transactions.
- Net 30, 15, 60, 75 - Net terms allow you to specify the number of days a customer has to pay.
- Status - The status field allows customers to be classified as normal, preferred, or hold. A user will not be able to issue or ship an order to a customer with a hold status, unless the user has the Customer-Override Hold Access Right.
- Tax Exempt - If this customer is tax exempt, check the box and enter the tax exempt number in the available field.
Click Next when finished.
You may now assign the customer to a Customer Group if you wish. If you have created Customer Groups you may add your New Customer to one of them using the blue arrows in the center. If not, you may go back and create a Customer Group first and then add a Customer to a specified group.
Click Finish to add the new customer to Fishbowl. Customers can also be created using the import.
Modify an Existing Customer
After a customer has been created their information may be modified at any time in the customer module.
To edit a customer, Double click on any customer from the Search Panel.
Any desired changes may be made by clicking the various tabs. For an explanation of each tab, see the TABS section. Remember to click the Save icon from the module toolbar after any modifications are made.
Delete a Customer
Delete a Customer
Deleting a Customer can only be done when the Customer is brand new and has not been attached to any orders. Once it has been used, a Customer cannot be deleted and therefore should be set as inactive.
Inactivate a Customer
Making a Customer inactive will still store history and information about that Customer. However, making them inactive will prevent them from being seen on any list containing Customer names unless a search is chosen to show inactive customers. To make a customer inactive, simply follow these instructions:
- In the Search Panel (on the left), double-click the customer you would like to make Inactive.
- In the Account Info tab, uncheck the Active box located at the right of the screen.
- Click the Save Icon from the module toolbar. The Customer is now considered Inactive. You may view an inactive customer by choosing the Advanced Search button and choosing the Show Inactive only or Show all options.
The Pipeline integration can be enabled in the module options. This adds two module buttons used to synchronize customers with Fishbowl Pipeline. Access to these buttons can be set via access rights in the User Group module. Pipeline is Fishbowl's cloud-based CRM. Read more about Pipeline here or visit the Pipeline wiki.
- The Push To button uploads or syncs the currently open Fishbowl customer to Pipeline.
- The Pull From button downloads or syncs all accounts from Pipeline that are set to by synchronized.
Products, inventory quantities, location groups, taxes, and UOMs can also be synced with Pipeline using the Product module.
Create Customer Groups
- Open a customer in the Customer module and click the Groups tab.
- To add or remove a customer from a group, double-click the group name or use the on-screen arrow buttons.
- To create a new group, click the Manage Groups button. Groups can also be edited and deleted in this window.
Search for a Customer
When searching for a Customer, you have the option of first using the Search Panel. The search panel allows for the customer Name, City, or State to be used. If these do not help find a customer, you may wish to use the Advanced Search feature.
To do this, select Advanced Search from the Customer Search Panel. In the Advanced Search feature you also have the options of searching by Customer Groups, Salesmen, Customer Numbers (located on the Details tab of the Customer module), or Inactive Customers. You may also search by Custom Fields using the Custom Subtab.
Update a Customer Address
Addresses may be updated manually through the Customer Module of the Fishbowl Client, or they may be updated via the Customers Import. Customer Addresses may be edited via the import when each Address has a unique name. If desired, an Address Name may have multiple Address Types affiliated with it; however, when updating Address information, both the unique Address Name and Type will both need to be specified.
The History button will open the purchase history report. If a customer is open, the report will show the purchase history of the current customer. To change the report that is loaded when clicking the History button, open the Reports module options and change the report for Customer Purchase History. The same button is also found in the Sales Order module.
If desired, you may change the customer's name in this subtab. To do so, simply change the customer name in the Name field and click Save in the module toolbar to save the changes. This Account Info tab is also where you may inactivate a customer if you choose to. Simply deselect the active box in the upper right hand corner of the main screen. At the bottom of the main screen there is a section labeled Default Numbers. This is a read-only field for a quick-glance of contact information available for this customer. If you would like to modify this information, it should be done under the Contact subtab.
- Currency - Allows a default currency and rate to be specified for each customer. Check Use Currency Default to use the default rate set in the Currency module. The Currency field is only visible if currency conversion is enabled.
- Credit Limit - The credit limit set for this customer. A dialog box will be displayed with this limit whenever a new Sales Order is created for this customer.
- Status - The status allows you to verify where you stand with the customer. Normal is default; however Preferred, Hold Shipment, Hold Sales, and Hold All are also options for your customer.
- Issue Status - Allows a customer to have a different issue status than the Issue Sales Orders module option.
- Default Terms
- COD - Cash On Delivery. This refers to customers who pay at the time of receipt.
- CIA - Cash in Advance. This is for customers who are required to pay in advance.
- CCD - Cash Concentration and Disbursement. This is a format for Automated Clearinghouse (ACH) type payments, or payments dealing with electronic transactions.
- Net 30 - This allows customers up to 30 days to pay.
- Default Carrier - The default shipping method for the customer.
- Default Shipping Service - The default shipping service for the customer.
- Shipping Terms - Prepaid and Billed, Prepaid, or Freight Collect.
- Salesperson - This is the customer's default salesperson. If the option is selected in the Sales Order module options, the Salesperson field (on the Details tab of the Sales Order module) will be set to the customer's default salesperson. If there is no default, the salesperson is set to the user that created the order. The See All Customers access right determines whether a salesperson can see the customers and orders assigned to another salesperson.
- Class - Allows a default class to be specified for the customer. The product class will take precedence over all other classes. If the product doesn't have a class, then the customer class will be used. If the customer doesn't have a class, then the location group class will be used.
- Account Number - The number associated with this Customer.
- To Be Emailed and To Be Printed - These fields will transfer to the Details tab of the Sales Order module when this customer is selected on the order.
- Tax Rate - A default tax rate may be selected per customer in this dropdown. Tax rates available in the drop down list have already been created in the Tax Rate Module.
- Tax Exempt - If this customer is tax exempt, check the box and enter the tax number in the available field.
- Alert Note - Alert notes are displayed in a pop-up window when the customer is selected on a sales order.
You may have a default address for every different address type. Each Address Type should also have a unique Address Name. This unique name tied to a specific type allows for Customers and their Addresses to be created and updated through the Customers Import. To edit an address, simply highlight the desired address and modify the information shown on the right side of the screen. To add information such as Contacts, choose the add address information icon from the Address Information section and enter a name, Type, and data for the contact. Choose OK to add the contact. After any changes are made to an address, make sure to choose the Save icon located on the module toolbar. To delete an address highlight the name and click the Delete Address button.
To the right of the Address Type you will notice a small world icon. Clicking on this icon will pull up your Customer address on a Google Maps page for your convenience.
The Parts tab displays customer part numbers.
- Fishbowl can store the number each customer uses to reference products in Fishbowl.
- Customer part numbers can be added by clicking the Add button on the component toolbar to the right.
- Customer part numbers can also be set in the Sales Order module by clicking the Customer Number cell in the item table, or by double-clicking a line item. When the sales order is saved, the customer part number record will also be saved.
- When an order is fulfilled, the Last Price will be updated automatically for parts that have a customer part number.
- The Last Price can also be edited manually and used as a basis for pricing rules.
- Products can be added to a sales order by typing the customer part number into the Product field.
The Memo tab is for internal-use and allows a user to enter notes regarding this customer. You may add a new note, edit an existing note, or delete a note by highlighting the line item to be changed and clicking the corresponding button located on the component toolbar.
The Custom tab stores additional fields for the order that can be customized to fit the needs of each company.
- Custom fields can be created and modified by opening the Custom Field module and selecting Customer from the drop-down at the top of the module.
- Custom fields with the same name and type will transfer from the customer to the sales order if the module option is enabled. For example, if a customer has a custom field that stores priority and there is a matching custom field for sales orders, the data in the custom field will transfer when creating a new order for the customer.
- To search for customers using the custom fields, click the Advanced Search button in the search pane to the left and then click the Custom tab.
Some aspects of the Customer module can be customized by opening the module, clicking the Tools menu, and then selecting Module Options.
- Add custom fields to SO
- If this option is enabled, custom fields with the same name and type will transfer from the customer to the sales order. For example, if a customer has a custom field that stores priority and there is a matching custom field for sales orders, the data in the custom field will transfer when creating a new order for the customer.
- Enable Pipeline Integration
- If this option is enabled, the module buttons for Pipeline will be visible.
- Issue Sales Orders
- To prevent a sales order from being issued before a payment has been received, select Paid in Full or Partially Paid. A customer's default issue status can also be set on the Details tab. If the Issue button is clicked before payment has been received, a warning will be displayed with the option for a manager override. To override, a user must have the Customer-Override Hold access right.