The Custom Field module, located in the Setup group, allows custom fields to be created and modified. Custom fields appear throughout Fishbowl and allow customized data to be stored in several modules.
Create or edit a custom field
Use the following steps to create or edit a custom field in the Custom Field module.
- Under the Custom Fields tab, select a module to associate with the new custom field from the View Custom Fields For: drop down menu.
- The Custom Field module comes with four default custom fields that can be edited to fit a company's needs. To edit an existing custom field, highlight the custom field and click the Edit button located on the component toolbar. To add an additional custom field, click the Add button located on the component toolbar.
- Enter the Name, Description, and Type of the custom field. If the chosen Type is a list or a radio button group, specify the List that will be used.
- Next choose whether or not the custom field will be Required when a new entry is made and whether or not it will be Active. (A radio button group will default to required.) Click OK to finish.
Custom field formatting options
|Text||A field allowing information to be added in a text format and stores up to 30 characters.|
|Long Text||A text field allowing up to 128 characters.|
|Date||A field allowing a date to be entered by hand or chosen from an adjacent calendar.|
|Money||A field formatted to list entries with a dollar sign, commas, and decimal points.|
|Quantity||A field formatted to insert commas in appropriate locations as well as allow decimal points, greater-than, and less-than symbols.|
|Count||A number field similar to quantity that does not automatically insert commas.|
|Checkbox||A field that will display a yes or no option with a checkbox.|
|List||A field that creates a list of responses to choose from in a drop-down format. Select the desired list to use from the List menu or create a new list by clicking on the Add button to the right.|
|Radio Button Group||
A field that displays all items on a list simultaneously. Select the desired list to use from the List menu or create a new list by clicking on the Add button to the right.
Custom fields can also be imported from a spreadsheet.
In order to use the List and Radio Button Group custom fields, custom lists must be created. Use the following steps to create or edit custom lists.
- Click on the Custom Lists tab (located to the right of the Custom Fields tab). All currently created custom lists will be displayed on this tab and can be edited by clicking the Edit button located on the component toolbar to the right. To create a new list, click the Add button.
- Choose a name and description for the list. Click Next.
- Add each desired list item or option by clicking the Add button to the right and entering a name and description. To make changes to existing items, use the Edit button or the Delete button. When the list is complete, click Finish. The list will now appear under the Custom Lists tab.
- Use the new list to create a custom field by returning to the Custom Fields tab and clicking the Add button or the Edit button. Choose List or Radio Button Group from the Type drop-down, and select the newly created list. A new custom list can also be created at this point by clicking the Add button to the right of the drop-down list and following steps 2 and 3 listed above.
Use a custom field with an advanced search
Once you have chosen the Module that will be affected by your Custom Field (for example, Part, Product, Customer etc.) you will then have the option of using the information from those Custom Fields as part of your Advanced Search. For example, in the Product Module, the Custom Fields I created of Custom Color will now be options to use when doing an Advanced Search for a Product.
Radio button Groups appear as a drop down list when used in the Advanced Search screen. This allows you the option to search for a Radio button type if you would like to.
If a Required Custom Field is added to a module, it will only act as required when a new Part, Product, Customer etc. are added or as an existing Part, Product, Customer etc. are edited. You will not be required to update your whole database immediately because a Required Field was added.
Some aspects of the Custom Field module can be customized by opening the module, clicking the Tools menu, and then selecting Module Options.
- Only show the Required Custom Fields in the Wizards
- With this option checked, only required custom fields will be shown in wizards. For example, when creating a new part, only the part custom fields that are marked as Required in the Custom Field module will be displayed, instead of all of the part custom fields.